Skip to main content

Small is big

Yeah! You read it right. Every small thing is big.

A good morning wish is small. 
An acknowledging nod at your neighbour is small.
A gleeful wave at a school kid is small. 
A helping hand to a struggling stranger is small. 
A thank you note is small. 
A sorry note is even smaller.
A friendly chat with an old pal is small. 
A simple gesture of "I am there for you" is small. 
An early birthday wish is small. 
A "No problem" or "That's ok" to a person saying sorry, is small. 
A change of plan for your loved one is small. 
An act of stepping aside is small. 
A simple errand for someone who cannot, is small. 
A lost game with a kid is small. 
A word of appreciation is small. 
A "You ok?" to someone struggling is small. 
A smile at a completely unknown fellow passenger is small. 

Though these are stuff that look small and do not take up much of our time, these are those acts that define us. What we are and what we become largely depends on things as small as these. Most times, like it is said, a positive one comes back positively and a negative one, negatively!

I still remember a famous cricket player, who had come to our school. He did not respect our national anthem. I also remember a simple psychologist who came to our college for a lecture. He did not accept the gift we gave and instead asked us to give it to someone needy. 

The kind of memory I have of the two people are different, irrespective of what big they had accomplished in their lives. It is solely because of the small act that they did. 

So, while we are all so engrossed in accomplishing our big things, let us not forget the smaller and less important ones. Cos though they appear small, they mean the most and also cost us the most!

Comments


such altruistic expression are truly big indeed. succinctly worded.congrats

Popular posts from this blog

Oh! What will people say?

For a long time, I have been experimenting with the question, “Oh! What will people say?”   
I wanted to know, if it is good to ask this to ourselves before doing something, so that we can be good to everybody around us.

And few days back, I came across this beautiful quote, “No matter how hard you try, you can never please everyone. Follow your heart, make the most of every day, and be proud of who you are.” – John Cena The saying is so true.

I see a lot of analogy between this quote and a small story, which goes,

There was once a man, who had a donkey. He went with his donkey to a nearby town. He was walking and taking the donkey with him. Seeing that, people said, “What kind of a man is he? He has a donkey and doesn’t know to use it. He should be riding on the donkey!” Hearing that, the man mounted on the donkey and before he could cross few blocks, people around him said, “What kind of a man is he? Doesn’t have a sense of pity to the poor creature! Riding on the donkey when he can e…

Marriage

We all have gone through or at least been part of a marriage. For most of us, marriage is all about the ceremonies.
Having just married, I suddenly got intrigued one day, on the meaning of marriage. I was thinking, why should there be a thing called marriage at all?

Thence, I landed up in front of my laptop to ask my best pal, Google ;), what she thinks marriage is.
This is what she says,
   "the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (...) 
as partners in a relationship"
Well. It is true. But beyond this, I felt, marriage is something more. Something more than just the ceremonies and knots (or vows).

Marriage is a connection, an attachment or a bond. The bond between two unknown things making them one.
It is the bond which binds two different families into one. It is the bond that adds an extra person into a small family and makes it big. It is the bond bringing more happiness home. It is the beautiful bond that gives a son to a son-less parent and a daug…

Bon appétit*

I have always been fond of good food, like everybody is. Little did I realize until recently that the biggest boon of life is having food in your plate, whenever you want. Something this big was taught to me by a small bird, which is, believe me, not larger than my fist.

One day, my dad broke some leftover biscuits and put them on our home’s compound wall pillar. I thought he should be crazy and that how would birds or anything for that matter, know that there’s food here, under the trees. But to my surprise, that evening all the biscuits were gone. I didn’t want to believe that they were eaten. Next day too, my dad did the same thing. I was waiting till evening, only to find it empty. Then I decided to find out the real reason myself.
The third day, I volunteered, broke few biscuits into tiny bits and was waiting in our porch, reading a newspaper. I had waited for close to an hour and there was no sign of any bird or anything. When I decided to give up and go inside, I heard the chi…